Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Shall we dance?



The back yard is busy with spiders. Fat female garden spiders have been squatting in the centre of their webs billowed by the wind while their male counterparts are spinning their yarns.

As The Guardian noted yesterday favourable weather conditions have meant that numbers of arachnids are up nationally. It’s enough to give you the heebee-jeebees.

September is spider mating season and these two were caught on camera as they shook their legs and webs in what looked like a rather complicated courtship dance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Spiders still make my skin crawl, but they are amazing creatures and at this time of year Wild Burro Paddocks is alive with them spinning, mating and eating and it's just wonderful to watch.

Cracking photo, btw

Dave and Karen said...

The biggest spider I have ever seen in my life crawled across our bedroom floor the other night. I still shudder when I think about it.
Karen