Sunday, March 29, 2009

British summer time



The clocks changed and the sun shone. It was a promising start to British summer time today and the allotment was busy with activity. Folks wandering past the gates were peering in. When the sun is out, growing veg and working in the fresh air is an enviable passion. I know, gardening doesn't quite work like that and you have to get out there when it's windy and cold too. But it's days like today which make it all worthwhile.

Dug over the potato bed as I'll soon be planting out the seed potatoes. The broad beans are growing well and just neeeded a little support.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Your broad beans look great - I planted my first batch out yesterday. can't wait for them to be ready as they're one of my favourite things to eat!

allotmenteer said...

I love them too. I'm trying to do successional sowing this year so now have two lots of broad beans planted out which were sown in the cold frame a month apart.