Sunday, December 03, 2006

A bit blowy


At this time of year the Christmas catalogues are full of gift ideas for the greenfingered. Their suggestions give the impression that gardening is the twee and cosy pastime of gentle folk – watering cans in the shapes of ducks and snails, floral clogs, gently scented Lily of the Valley hand creams and tartan topped wellies. However, as anyone who was out and about this weekend can testify, gardening at this time of year is not for the faint-hearted. It was blowing a gale on the allotment; the shed door was flapping and the broccoli and sprouts were bent at right-angles. Only a couple of hardy souls were working their plots and when the rain started to pelt it down we all called it a day. There are, of course, rewards for the effort as I reflected when sat by the fire tucking into a vegetable bake with home-grown leeks, beetroot and chard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you used the beet leaves in salad - delicious!

allotmenteer said...

I'll have to give that a go. Thanks for the tip!

Melanie Rimmer said...

I know what you mean about the genteel gardening products. It makes me laugh. But I do love my flowery wellies. I look extremely fetching in them.

Matron said...

I agree it can be difficult finding things to do this time of year, and impossible to find enough to keep a blog interesting (although I have tried) I am looking forward to digging up my own parsnips and leeks for Christmas dinner!