Sunday, November 05, 2006

Golden brown


It is a beautiful time of year. The trees are shedding their autumn decorations and the streets are littered with heapings of browns and golds. The plot is in transition, moving from the high productivity of summer to the winter slow down. The last few days have ushered in the change. Frost has cut down the late producing courgettes and the nasturtiums are lying lifelessly in the borders. The chard has survived for now but I don’t fancy its chances. But even now the promise of Spring is in the soil: the onions are sprouting and the purple-sprouting broccoli is flourishing. Time to work on clearing some more space for planting next year…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine autumn colours you have there.

I've planted my garlic too but I'm jealous of your Radicchio. A cold frame that's what I need to make this winter!

Melanie Rimmer said...

That nasturtium photo is marvellously poignant. Often I feel sad at this time of year, but this year I have a sense of completion instead. A sense of everything resting after labours, and preparing to start the whole riot over again in a few months.